Bug:Auto shutdown of the tool

I have configured the tool for local Ubuntu system but it gets auto shutdown sometimes. My version of Language tool is 3.4. Generally the shutdown occurs at midnight.

I can’t think of anything that would make LT shut down automatically. How exactly do you start LT? Is there any output if you start it from the console and it shuts down?

We are using Ubuntu 16.04 and the command is

sudo nohup java -cp languagetool-server.jar org.languagetool.server.HTTPServer --port 5001 --public &

The output is saved in a file “nohup” which doesn’t have anything significant. And it gets shutdown at IST 00:00:00

You shouldn’t run LT as root, there shouldn’t be any reason for that and it means that any security issue would allow your whole system to be compromised. About the shutdown: I have no idea, I’m quite sure it’s nothing in LT. Maybe check the Ubuntu system logs.

Okay thanks for the suggestion. We found some help after viewing system logs. The error was out of memory and because of that the OS was killing the process. But the point is we had created a new dedicated server with approximately 1GB(RAM) but stills it runs out of memory. There is no other service running in parallel. Is it the RAM size or something else that is causing the error.

For Java, you need to specify the amount of memory explicitly at start using the -Xmx option, e.g. -Xmx1000M to allow the Java process to actually use that much. If 1000M isn’t enough, there’s an issue somewhere in LT, unless the texts you’re checking texts that are huge.