[de] Meinungsbild: "Tetrapak" ins Wörterbuch?

Es kommt immer wieder vor, dass mich die Wortvorschläge unserer BenutzerInnen ins Grübeln bringen.

In den letzten Tagen gab es es zwei ganz ähnlich gelagerte Fälle:

• Tetrapak
  • Opelarena

In beiden Fällen sieht die “offizielle” Schreibweise ein Leerzeichen vor:

• Tetra Pak
  • Opel Arena

Gefühlsmäßig würde ich “Opelarena” aufnehmen, weil es von der Struktur her nicht anders ist als z. B. “Siemenswerke” oder “Quellekatalog”: Es gibt massenhaft Beispiele für solche Wortbildungen.

Bei “Tetra Pak” bin ich aber im Zweifel, weil es ein Kunstwort ist. “Pak” (ohne c) ist kein normales dt. Wort, darf also auch nicht ohne Weiteres in Komposita auftreten. Trotzdem finde ich die Schreibweise “Tetrapak” gefühlsmäßig halbwegs in Ordnung.

Mich würde hier jede Meinung interessieren, auch die von Leuten, die nicht im engeren Sinne an der deutschen Rechtschreibung mitarbeiten, bspw. @Ruud_Baars oder @sabiman.

In Dutch there is the ‘donor principle’ which states it is the legal owner that dictates how ‘his’ proper name is written. Even when it is obviously ‘incorrect’. So in Dutch it should be Tetra Pak. Also ‘De Nederlandsche Bank’ is a correct proper name, whereas any Dutch bank is a ‘Nederlandse bank’. Watch the difference.

There might be an arena with the identifying proper name Opel Arena. But there might also be all kinds of arenas, some for Opel cars. Those would be Opelarenas. In Dutch, it is possible to hear the difference in the pronouciation. The Opel Arena has a different intonation from an Opelarena. Maybe also in German, consider ein Hotelzimmer and das Hotel Zimmer

It might be an option to add replacements for tetrapak in the simple replace rule, and immunize Tetra Pak for spellchecking in the disambiguator, to not have to add these artifacts to the speller dictionary. This is the approach I use for Dutch. Though I am still working on getting a corpus, reliable enough for proper name extraction.

Maybe in the long run a specific function for common proper names might be helpful.

I’ll have to do some research work here. I’m not 100 % positive that the same rule exists for German, but I think it is quite plausible. That’s why I always insist on the capital T in YouTube, for example.

Excellent point. In “Hotélzimmer”, the emphasis is on the second syllable, while in “Hotel Zímmer” the emphasis would be on the syllable “Zimm”.

Many thanks for your comment, highly appreciated!

Vor einer Aufnahme ins LT-Wörterbuch würde ich noch prüfen, wie verbreitet die jeweiligen Schreibweisen im Deutschen sind (per Google-Recherche):

Tetra Pak wird als offizieller Firmenname getrennt geschrieben. Doch mitunter taucht Tetrapak auf, vor allem wenn der Begriff allgemeiner gebraucht wird, z.B.: “Wie clever sind Tetrapaks wirklich?”(Deutschlandfunk). In der Duden-online-Ausgabe von 2012 sind beide Schreibweisen enthalten (in der neuesten allerdings weder noch!). Diese Funde sprechen dafür, Tetra Pak als erste und Tetrapak als zweite Schreibweise aufzunehmen.

Die Opel Arena hat lt. Wikipedia zwei spezielle Bedeutungen: Fußballstadion in Mainz und Kleintransporter (Automodell von Opel). Bei der Google-Suche nach Opelarena ist, zumindest auf den ersten sieben Seiten, nur die getrennte Schreibweise zu finden. Zu fragen wäre also, ob es einschlägige Fundstellen für Opelarena gibt. Wenn nicht, läge es nahe, bei Opel Arena zu bleiben.

About YouTube, the product itself is with capitals. But when it is a form of the verb ‘to youtube’, it looses both capitals in Dutch. This is a nightmare for spellchecking. Maybe when (id ever) a good disambiguator is in place, LT can signal this. I strongly feel we need AI for postagging. The current Brill-like approach is tricky.

A nightmare indeed. In German, we also have the problem of complex inflection for verbs (not sure if the same problem exists for Dutch, my knowledge of Dutch is virtually non-existent). I we accept the verb “to youtube”, we have to add a ton of verb forms to the dictionary.

It is not even perfectly clear if “du youtubest” or “du youtubst” is correct. Both look weird for me. Not much fun.

It is so much easier for English: People can just decide to use a word as a verb in a certain context (e.g. “I would just foreach through the array”).

It migjt be general Germanic, common to all languages in the west. In dutch, this is extremely common; a hammer becomes to hammer ( hameren, hamer, hamert, hamerde, hamerden, gehamerd, gehamerde, hamerend, hamerende). I asumecthis happen in German just as well. I also think to youtube is ugly, but for Twitter, Facebook, Wordfeud… these arecalso accepted in verb form by renowned dictionaries…

1 Like

Ganz herzlichen Dank! Dass der Duden die Zusammenschreibung früher zugelassen hat und sich jetzt in der Frage einfach ausschweigt [Feigling, der!], ist für mich ein Argument, beide zuzulassen. Die Zusammenschreibung kommt mir sehr natürlich vor:

Schatz, bitte bring auf dem Heimweg zwei Tetrapaks(?) Milch mit!

Für “Opel Arena” schlägt LT jetzt Getrenntschreibung vor.

Ich habe also die Vorschläge von Sabine übernommen, so wie ich sie verstanden habe.

Das ist aber nicht in Beton gegossen: Wenn z.B. @Discostu oder jemand anders Einwände hat, ändern wir das.

1 Like

In the Netherlands, there is a lot of discussion, but luckily, there is a formal governmental standard, which is documented in large detail. We tend to stick to that.

I agree with your conclusions.

The problem with “Opel Arena” reminds me of “App Store”. If you’re talking about the platform by Apple, “App Store” is correct because it’s the registered trademark. If you’re talking about the concept in general, it should be “App-Store” because that’s how compounds are built in German.

So in general I agree with the concept of letting the owner of the brand decide how it should be spelled. Alternative grammatically correct spellings should also be accepted (like “Tetrapak” instead of “Tetra Pak” and “I-Phone” instead of “iPhone”).

1 Like