How to activate LanguageTool in Google Docs?

So I installed the Add On for Google Docs and it just says I need to go to the “Add On Tab” within Google Docs, nothing else. How can I activate it?

Greetings

In the “Add-ons” menu in Google Docs, you should see an item “LanguageTool” with a “Check” option.

Is it safe to use ?

In the Add-ons it say that need some permissions:

• View and manage your Google Docs documents
  • Connect to an external service
  • Display and run third-party web content in prompts and sidebars inside Google applications

I understand that most of them are used for get the text in the document.
Unfortunately I don’t see the google docs repository in the LanguageTool organization repositories but looks like is hosted by a different user.
Also, the connection used for communicating with the server is safe ?

Hi Alice, the communication between Google Docs and our servers is protected via SSL/TLS. It’s the same encryption most websites use.

The code repository isn’t public, but you can see an older version (which is still basically the same code) at GitHub - jaumeortola/languagetool-google-docs: LanguageTool Add-on for Google Documents

Why that code repository is not public?
I would feel safer if it was transparent

I’m also using SSL/TLS on my own instance.
Using GitHub - nginx-proxy/acme-companion: Automated ACME SSL certificate generation for nginx-proxy

The plan was that it would become part of the Premium version of LT, and we cannot give away all our premium features for free. There are too many companies who use Open Source but never contribute back.

I think it would be better to teach that company to contribute to the open source, than hide under a pay wall.

Hiding under a pay wall is just ruining the open source ecosystem penalizing also the normal users.

The thing is that you cannot do that with Open Source by definition. If it’s Open Source, your competitors can take your code, remove your logo, and pretend it’s all theirs (minus some copyright hint in the code that no user will ever see).

Yes that’s true.
But you can still try to teach them the correct way to contribute back.
I hope that you can find different ways, then close-sourcing features.