Looking for tester for Norwegian

Hi, we’d like to add some support for Norwegian. “Some support” means spelling support for now, no grammar checks yet. Who’s a native speaker of Norwegian and would like to test our browser add-on (Firefox or Chrome) with Norwegian?

You’ll need to install a special edition of the add-on, but we’ll guide you through the process. Once installed, just use the add-on for a few days and let us know how it works - that’s all. If you’re interested, please reply here or contact me directly (see LanguageTool - Imprint for my email address).

1 Like

Hi,

We plan to use languagetool as a spell checker in 3rd party software and we are interested in support for the Norwegian language. I have colleagues native Norwegian who could do testing. Please send all details to set up browser add-on and we will test it.

Hi, thanks for your interest in LanguageTool. For Norwegian, we only support simple spell checking. There are no grammar rules yet. Is that what you’re looking for?

Hi Daniel,

Spell checking is what we need.

You can configure your add-on to point to https://api10.languagetool.org/v2 under “Other server” in the add-on’s experimental setttings:

Please note that this is really experimental. The add-on will still show that your text is detected as English, when internally the detection of Norwegian should actually work. Please let me know if it works for you.

I and my colleague was able to set it up. He tested and so far have not found problems. But will report when found any.

Thank you,
Indulis

Despite this, it might be useful to collect the errors the spell checker is missing. Just in case a Norwegian language enthusiast will appear to create rules … Pairs of faulty and corrent sentences, with the sentence marked is the best way to document these.

Hi, have been testing your API and so far no issues found. Only concern that we have is that your API returns error when document has a lot of misspelled words. I assume you have some limitations like public API (Public HTTP Proofreading API - LanguageTool Wiki). When LanguageTool code with Norwegian language support, will be available? I would like to deploy it on local server and remove limitations. Then we could test on larger documents.

I’m not sure when we will activate Norwegian for the public API. But if you want to run it locally anyway, you can add these properties to your configuration (server.properties);

lang-no=Norwegian
lang-no-dictPath=/path/to/nb_NO.dict

nb_NO.dict is the hunspell dictionary for Norwegian.

Hi Indulis, we’d like to activate support for Norwegian now, but there is some confusion about the language codes. Could have maybe have a look in your browser settings and let me know whether you have set no (Norwegian) or nb (Norwegian Bokmal) there or both? Do you remember if you ever changed that setting?

Here are screenshots of the dialog I’m talking about. For Firefox:

For Chrome:

Hi!
I am really happy that support for Norwegian is coming :slight_smile:
Norwegian Bokmål is the main one, while Norwegian is an old alias for Norwegian Bokmål that could be added as fallback, just for compatibility reasons. Just avoid putting Norwegian Nynorsk as that is another written language.

Thank you for this. I’ve allowed myself to point my extension to this as well – I’ll follow up if I find any issues. Looking forward to seeing this language implemented!

It shouldn’t be necessary anymore. If you type Norwegian text, it should automatically be detected as such. Please let us know if that doesn’t work.

1 Like

Ah yes, indeed!
I got confused because Norwegian doesn’t appear in the language menu on LanguageTool’s homepage. But, it is indeed supported. Thanks for notifying.

Are you still looking for Norwegian testers?

If you have feedback about LT’s support for Norwegian, please let us know.

I just installed the software, is Norwegian grammar a part of main or do I still need to enable beta like your post from 2019 says?

It doesn’t need to be activated. But it’s still spell checking only, it has no grammar or style checks.

Feedback for Norwegian is that it always assumes that i am typing in danish.

Norway has two official written languages and some dialects:
“Norsk Nynorsk” is based of dialects gathered around mostly the western parts of Norway and vest-Telemark and is only a written language, western dialects are close but not the same to the way “Norsk Nynorsk” is written.
“Norsk Bokmål” is based of danish written language and is almost indistinguishable from Danish for the untrained eye but for Norwegian speakers it is obvious that it is Danish you are writing when put up against each other. “Norsk Bokmål” is the definitive majority used written language, and almost all spoken dialects on the east part of Norway is spoken in the same way Bokmål is written.
That being said it should be noted that even tho Bokmål and Danish are very similar when written their spoken versions are very different, and it can even be hard for Danish and Norwegians to understand each other if one of them have a thick accent.

As a Bokmål writer I find that my text is always confused for Danish and spelling corrections are mostly wrong because of the different use of vowels.

Norsk bokmål is not listed as an option in the mother thounge either so i dont know how to apply any override.