Stop possible spelling mistake correction suggestions from appearing?

Our writing uses a limited vocabulary. I added thousands of words we never use to prohibit.txt to flag them in case they appear in documents through autocorrect, autocomplete, or fumble fingers.

The correction suggestions are sometimes distracting. For example, the correction suggestions for “posses” are:

Correction: AOSIS; ASSE; COSEC; COSSIM; CSSS; ENSSERS; ESSEC; ESSS; OASIS; ORSEC; OSEF; OSS; PACES; PAES; PES; POE; POS; POST; PSE; PSE1; PSQE; PSS; RAMSES; SES; SNES; SSAS; SSE; SSS; bosons; hawses; pis?Š; pis?Šs; repasses
Context: If the frozen red tart pitted cherries posses a fairly good red color, a score of

Having the suspect word highlighted is all we need for words in prohibit.txt. Is there a way to stop possible spelling mistake correction suggestions from appearing? Thanks for any guidance you can give.

I cannot really reproduce this list of suggestions when adding posses to prohibit… which version of LT do you use? I don’t think we have a way to turn of suggestions for just these cases.

I use version 4.3 (2018-09-26 12:13).

I picked one of the terms in the correction suggestions (COSSIM) and searched my hard drive for it. COSSIM was in spelling.txt with 8,144 other acronyms. I deleted all the acronyms and the correction suggestions were reduced to:

bosons; hawses; pisĂŠ; pisĂŠs; repasses

which is much shorter.

When I have time, I will go through the rest of spelling.txt and delete what isn’t needed for our particular purposes.

You can use the latest version of LT 4.5.

Thanks! English spelling.txt is down to 439 entries in LT 4.5. No bosons or hawses. That’s a big help.

1 Like