Support for RTL language

Hi
We are trying to write a grammar checker for the arabic language
We would know if it is possible to base on LanguageTool ?

Thank you

Thanks for you interest. We don’t support RTL languages yet, but you’re welcome to add support. We will try to help you as much as we can. Some information about adding a language is available at
http://www.languagetool.org/development/#newlanguage

A rule’s tokens are evaulated from left to right, so we might need to change that. The first step is probably to implement your own WordTokenizer, then adding a simple rule to see how it works.

Please let me know if you need more help. If you don’t have Java knowledge that’s okay too, just let us know and we’ll help you with the first steps.

2 Likes

بالطبع تستطيع…عملت على هذا السنة الماضية …استطعت إضافة اللغة العربية إلى المدقق ، كان ينقصني قاموس بحجم اكبر ليتضح العمل أكثر…لم استطع إنجازه أو العمل عليه نظرا لضيق الوقت …ساعدني السيد دانييل كثيرا فيما يخص الاخطاء المتعلقة بجافا و البرمجة …بإمكانك مراسلتي عبر البريد حتى أساعدك بقدر استطاعتي

1 Like

where have you reached so far in this? was it accepted in upstream?

CC: @linuxscout

Salam, Arabic is supported since release 4.9.

Sorry for bursting in but I see Arabic and Persian are supported, what are the chances to include another RTL languages such as Hebrew?

Hi Yaron, for adding new languages we rely on the community. People with linguistic and technical knowledge are needed to get support working. The technical part is documented at Adding A New Language - LanguageTool Wiki.

1 Like

I can see that, but even the simplest example is a good reason for including the language and start recruiting volunteers, my friend Amir Aharoni sent some patches back in 2018 and these were removed (completely), so now he has no motivation of making the effort again (He has a linguistic degree).

If I can somehow convince him to send the patches again or prepare a simple example myself (I’m very experienced with Hebrew linguistics but I don’t have a degree) is it good enough to add Hebrew to the list of languages?

It will be an ongoing effort from our side even if the first example is pretty scarce.

EDIT: I’m sorry if I was too aggressive, I will do whatever necessary to make it work according to the link and I’ve got many scholars to support my work so I just want to make sure that if I’ll go over all these steps Hebrew will be included, thank you.

The changes have not been removed, the pull request was just never merged, as there was no update for a long time (https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool/pull/888). We’re happy about people adding new languages, but it’s also work for us, so we need to make sure it’s not just someone losing interest after a few weeks.

As documented at Adding A New Language - LanguageTool Wiki, the suggested approach is to fork LT first, add the new language there, and maintain it for a few months. Once we see there’s traction, the changes can become part of the LT at languagetool.org.