Ability to correct simple English Sentences

Hallo!

This message I have stored under <simple_ENsentences_languagtool_tests>.

Each of the following three simple English sentences has sequencing errors, but all three were accepted as error-free by language tool.

The child has gone alone every day to school.

The child has gone alone to school every day.

The child has gone to school alone every day.

Each of the following three simple English sentences has sequencing errors, but all three were accepted as error-free by language tool.

Why is or was it so?

Regards patforkin

On So 07.04.2013, 06:08:50 you wrote:

Each of the following three simple English sentences has sequencing
errors, but all three were accepted as error-free by language tool.

Why is or was it so?

LanguageTool will only find errors for which there is a rule. So far, we
have almost no word order rules. You can find out how to write rules at
http://www.languagetool.org/development/

Also, we’re looking for an English native speaker to constantly test and
improve the rules. Any help with that is more than welcome.

Regards
Daniel

http://www.danielnaber.de

Hello Patforkin

And even if you know how to write rules, when you sit down and think about the rule that you need to write, you will realise that it is a formidable task to write a rule for this that will deal with many sentences and yet not produce false hits.

My bet is that you want ‘alone’ at the end of the sentence so maybe start with a simple rule to alert you when it is not in that position.

You could of course write specific rules for your ‘bad’ sentences but then you would have to do it for every variant like

‘The child went to the club alone every day’

and you will quickly see that your rules multiply into infinity -that is why you should use general rules and tolerate a few false alerts

While I’m here, hello dnaber. I’m using your software to check my work (thank you) but still regret that I’m not up to writing rules in English or doing more on the forum.