Back to LanguageTool Homepage - Privacy - Imprint

Announcement: LanguageTool 2.9

(Daniel Naber) #1

I'm pleased to announce the release of LanguageTool 2.9. As usual, it is available for download at http://www.languagetool.org.

Changes include:

• Many updates for the error detection rules for Catalan, English, Esperanto, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Ukrainian
  • Improved automatic language detection
  • Bug fixes
  • Small rule syntax simplifications
  • Java API: removed deprecated methods and cleanups

Please see http://www.languagetool.org/download/CHANGES.txt for a complete list of changes.

If the update from the extension manager in LibreOffice/OpenOffice fails for you, please uninstall the old version, restart, and then install the new version.

SHA256 checksums:
e8d4c262e33a046b57590199b920ff765e6a865c96714f8aac0339f982456cf0 LanguageTool-2.9.oxt
9fe71455706eebd3a7212edcdd7348e0e0dfbb60956ad0a6018f2111dc8e48ee LanguageTool-2.9.zip

(Mility) #2

Getting error on running LT stand-alone version:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
at org.languagetool.tools.ContextTools.getContext(ContextTools.java:64)
at org.languagetool.gui.ResultArea.getRuleMatchHtml(ResultArea.java:133)
at org.languagetool.gui.ResultArea.displayResult(ResultArea.java:197)
at org.languagetool.gui.Main$3.languageToolEventOccurred(Main.java:373)
at org.languagetool.gui.LanguageToolSupport.fireEvent(LanguageToolSupport.java:166)
at org.languagetool.gui.LanguageToolSupport.access$10(LanguageToolSupport.java:157)
at org.languagetool.gui.LanguageToolSupport$12.run(LanguageToolSupport.java:797)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

(Daniel Naber) #3

What text are you checking so that you get this error?

(Mility) #4

Thanks, I have resolved.

(Daniel Naber) #5

Please tell us what the problem was and how you solved it, so that other people who have this problem find the solution here.

(Kumara) #6

Daniel, after installing this version of LO extension, LO has consistently frozen after sometime. Since I disabled to extension, it's been okay. I wonder if others are experiencing the same.

(Daniel Naber) #7

Do you get any message on the command line when it freezes? (You need to start LO from the command line for that.)

(Mility) #8

The original code(download from Github) is right,one day I changed the code lead to error.

(Kumara) #9

You talking to me? Assuming so, are you wanting me to start LO from the command line?

(Daniel Naber) #10

Yes, please start LO from the command line, try to trigger the freeze and see if something is printed to the command line.

(Kumara) #11

dnaber [via LanguageTool User Forum] wrote thus at 05:27 PM 10-04-15:

Yes, please start LO from the command line, try to trigger the
freeze and see if something is printed to the command line.

That doesn't work on Windows. To be sure, I've tried.

(Kumara) #12

Update: I just realised that it has to do with a particular DOC file. Leave that out and the problem doesn't occur. Hmm....

(Kumara) #13

Now I'm noticing another issue: With the LT extension on, I experience random inability to "Save as..." and opening other OS related dialog boxes. At times the "Save as..." d/box appears, but clicking on Save does nothing. I could still save on the opened file though.

I'm going to keep LT2.9 off for sometime to make sure that it's related to LT.

(Kumara) #14

Indeed it has to do with DOC files. I've just repeatedly had the freezing problem with LT2.9 on LO4.1.6.2 (on Win7 64bit) with another DOC file. Never had this issue before.

Here's the file for testing: Dhamma_Sessions_with_Bhante_Kumara_in_Perlis_(Announcement).doc (34 KB)

The freezing doesn't not happen immediately, but only after some manipulations, if you have only this file opened. It can happen sooner if you have other files (ODT) opened. Perhaps you can test while working on other files. Make you save often though.

I'd be surprised if I'm the only one experiencing it.

(Daniel Naber) #15

I couldn't reproduce a crash after editing that file for a few minutes. I've tried with LO 4.2, it's the oldest version of 4.x I have around. Is there any specific reason you're not using a more recent version of LO?

(Kumara) #16

dnaber [via LanguageTool User Forum] wrote thus at 08:32 PM 20-04-15:

I couldn't reproduce a crash after editing that file for a few
minutes. I've tried with LO 4.2, it's the oldest version of 4.x I
have around. Is there any specific reason you're not using a more
recent version of LO?

A regression bug:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=80960 Waiting for 4.4.3.

I don't have LO4.2 to test. On LO4.1.6.2, the editing I did included
changing page formatting. In my experience, you don't really have to
work on it. Even working on other files (try very long ones) while
this one is open would eventually cause the hanging.

(Daniel Naber) #17

I still cannot reproduce this problem with LO 4.2, even when changing the page settings or having another large document open.

(Kumara) #18

dnaber [via LanguageTool User Forum] wrote thus at 05:44 PM 21-04-15:

I still cannot reproduce this problem with LO 4.2, even when
changing the page settings or having another large document open.

Since it's just me, never mind then. Thanks.

(chr.hoe) #19

@Kumara: No, it's not only you, but I've had a hard time identifying LT as the problem source which might be the case for many other users as well.
In my case it is even worse - LO crashes with

"LibreOffice 4.4 - Fatal Error"
"osl::Thread::create failed"

with just an OK button to click which immediately shuts down LO! Sometimes shortly before that error occurs I'm also not able to "Save" or "Save as..." any more.
If I deactivate LT 2.9, the problem is gone. The way I got to LT as the source of problem has been a clean parallel install of the same LO version which didn't show the problem. Therefore I suspected the extensions and finally found LT to cause the problems.

If I could do anything to help to find a solve the problem please let me know. I really like this extension and would be happy if I could use it again with me loved LO.

(manomi) #20

I received the message when using Writer. I tried different versions of LibreOffice (from 4.1 to 4.4), but the results were almost the same.
I also tried to use Writer with a different account in the same PC (Windows 7 SP1 64bit), and it worked.
So I came back to my account and disabled some extensions including LanguageTool 2.9, which then was identified as responsible for the error.
I have tried LanguageTool 2.9 on and off with diverse versions of LibreOffice. With earlier versions (4.1 and 4.2), when LanguageTool 2.9 is on, when opening a file, LibreOffice hangs. With 4.3 and 4.4, I get the error message.
In any case, regardless of the versions of LibreOffice, when the extension is disabled, LibreOffice works fine.