Introduction

To whom it may concern,

I am a sophomore pursuing a bachelor’s of science degree in mathematics. I teach mathematics, computer science, and English at my college while I attend class full time. I am top-ranked in my classes and always have been in my college courses.

I am very interested in LanguageTool. I have definitely practiced quite a bit with the concepts involved in many of the ideas. Specifically, fixing bugs and comparing spellers would be expedient tasks from the short tasks list. Also from the medium tasks list, the improve neural network rules, extend AI approach, improve spell checker suggestions, improve performance, and enhance quality and speed of English chunking would all be great projects to work on from my perspective right now. I am open to the long-term ideas as well as other ideas from the other lists.

What are the best next steps to proceed? Please let me know how I can get involved and start the process. This all looks very exciting. I am completely committed and zealous about this opportunity.

Thanks,
David Sult

Hi David,

thanks for your interest in LanguageTool (and GSoC, I assume). The best way to improve an Open Source software is to use it, and fix the bugs/issues one encounters. For a GSoC application, we expect you to provide a prototype of a feature or at least a pull request that fixes a bug.

When it comes to the main task for GSoC: I suggest you select the one you like best and research more about it. You can ask questions here. When sending in an application, you’ll also need to specify a detailed roadmap, so you should use your research to estimate the size of a task. For example, performance optimization is probably not something one wants to spend 3 months on.

Dear dnaber,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was looking to download the source code for LanguageTool as I have already begun using it and playing around with it to find bugs where I can. I was unable to do so for some reason through GitHub as is advertised on the LanguageTool website. Can you please point me in the right direction and provide instructions? I have a decent amount of experience with this kind of program from the course I have taken.
Can you provide me some example proposals that have occurred in the past that I can take a look at? I am not sure what a pull request is so you will have to explain that one. I am very motivated to find a prototype feature to present in my proposal but I need some guidance on how to find one. Please let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,
David Sult

David, you can download LT at https://languagetool.org like a user. Downloading the source and building is documented at Development Overview - LanguageTool Wiki. Pull requests are documented at github. Here’s a proposal by a student.

Dear dnaber,

Thanks for getting back to me those are great resources. This upcoming week and last week are finals weeks for me this quarter so I am utterly mired in my school work right now. I also am an intern and volunteer as well as a full time student and teacher. I will be running my proposal-in-progress by you as soon as I can. I’m super excited about this project and am really like looking forward to it!

Best regards,
David Sult

Just be aware that 2018-03-27 is already the last day that a proposal can be submitted at Google.