Issue with LanguageTool Add-On in Google Docs

Dear Friends,

I hope this message finds you well. I’m writing to seek assistance with a problem I’ve encountered while using the LanguageTool add-on in Google Docs.

The add-on works flawlessly on various websites and platforms, offering corrections and suggestions as expected. However, when it comes to Google Docs, it presents a unique issue. When I click on a suggested correction, the add-on correctly identifies the errors by underlining them in red and provides accurate replacement suggestions, but clicking on these suggestions does not replace the incorrect word with the suggested correction. Instead, I’m required to make manual edits by typing the correct word myself.

I’ve ensured that the add-on is enabled and up to date. I’ve also tried using it in different Google Docs documents to confirm that this issue is not document-specific.

To summarize, the LanguageTool add-on in Google Docs is identifying errors and providing suggestions accurately, but it’s not performing the replacement action when I click on a suggested correction.

I would appreciate your guidance and assistance in resolving this matter as it significantly affects my workflow in Google Docs.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.


Hi Rafał, sorry you’re experiencing issues with the add-on. Could you maybe share a document (without personal information) where this happens and a screenshot? Also, which browser do you use?

Thank you for the prompt response regarding the issue with the LanguageTool plugin on Google Docs. I have attached the requested information for your reference.
I have created a short video demonstrating the issue and compressed it into a ZIP file. However, when I attempt to upload this file while sending the message, I receive a notification stating that as a new user on the forum, I do not have the ability to attach files. Could you please advise on an alternative method for me to share this attachment?"

Browser: Google Chrome 116.0.5845.141 version

Operating System Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version: 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Additional Operating System Description: Not available
Operating System Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Name: LAPTOP-4RT3043T
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X515JA_X515JA
System Type: x64-based PC
System Storage Unit: Not available
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 MHz, Cores: 4, Logical Processors: 8
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. X515JA.306, 02/06/2021
SMBIOS Version: 3.2
Embedded Controller Version: 255.255
Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

You can upload the video at e.g. and then share the link. Could you also share the link to the document itself, using the “Share” button in the upper right corner in Google Docs?

This is a direct link to a sample document (I hope it will work)

The issue applies to all documents I create in Google Docs. In a moment, I will also try to send a link to a video illustrating the issue on my computer via WeTranfer.

And here is a link to a video illustrating the issue via WeTranfer (I hope it will work)

I’m sorry, but I need to step away from the computer for approximately 4 hours. I hope you can open the links above. If there are any issues with them, please let me know, and I will try again in a few hours. Thank you once again for addressing my issue so quickly. I am extremely grateful for your time and the assistance provided so far.

Thanks, I can see the video. To reproduce, we’ll need a link to the document in Google Docs (via “Share”) and we’ll need to know the browser you use.

I gave you a link to the document in Google Docs via “Share” few hours ago here:

and I pointed my browser in my second post (Google Chrome 116.0.5845.141 version)

I haven’t received anything. Please post the link here or send it via private message.

Ok. I post the link again. Let me know if it’s working

This one I hope i correct:

Thanks, I have requested edit access to reproduce the issue. I have opened a copy of the file, but I cannot reproduce the issue in the copy. Do you have other browser add-ons installed? These sometimes interfere with LT.

Following your suggestion, I began the painstaking process of checking each of the 18 extensions I have installed on my Chrome browser. I disabled each extension one by one and restarted the browser. It turned out that one of them, called ‘InstaText - write like a native speaker,’ when disabled, resolved the issue, and now the LanguageTool extension works correctly with Google Docs. Please make a note of my case because others may encounter a similar conflict if they have both extensions installed.

I want to express my sincere gratitude for your assistance in resolving the issues. I have great admiration for the work you have done in creating such an excellent tool as LanguageTool, which is invaluable for editing text in various languages. It truly elevates our documents to a higher level, making them sound and look professional.

In the future, I will consider purchasing the premium version for individual users because, in addition to the quality of the tool itself, I highly value professional and prompt support in case of emergencies. You provided me with exceptionally efficient and, most importantly, effective assistance in resolving the problem.

I wish you all the best in the continued development of this fantastic tool, and I’m rooting for you with all my heart! Regards, Rafał