Recently I noticed that my pylanguagetool CLI seems to be reporting far too few errors in texts. Especially spelling issues are never reported.
I now took a closer look at the HTTP requests I am making and compared them to the ones on the website (where it was working correctly) and could find the source of the issue.
As I am from Austria, I prefer the spellchecking to be set to de-AT when detecting German. So I simply set
preferredVariants to it in the config file and forgot about it.
But it seems like adding the parameter breaks a lot of rules:
curl -d 'text=This is a sentence with an unkdsfsdfown word&language=auto&preferredVariants=de-AT' https://languagetool.lw1.at/v2/check
detects no spelling issue, while
curl -d 'text=This is a sentence with an unkdsfsdfown word&language=auto' https://languagetool.lw1.at/v2/check
correctly detects it.
If you want to, I can create a Github issue about this, but I first wanted to check if I was doing something wrong.