Spellcheck capabilities?

I am in the process of adding languageTool to our website as part of a project to support multiple languages. We need to offer grammar as well as spell checking for as many languages as possible. I see that the new release of LanguageTool has added spell checking for many languages, but the capabilities a bit inconsistant. Some languages like English and Spanish offer suggestions, while others do not. The changes.txt file mentions that suggestions are disabled for German due to performance reasons. My own testing of French seems to indicate that suggestions are not turned on for that language too, but I don’t see that in the documentation.

Is there someplace where I can see exactly which of LanguageTool’s supported languages now include spellchecking and which of those offer suggestions? In the case of the German suggestions, is there a way to enable them?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Is there someplace where I can see exactly which of LanguageTool’s
supported languages now include spellchecking and which of those offer
suggestions?

You can only see it in the Code, languages using HunspellNoSuggestionRule
offer no suggestions. These are:

Danish
Esperanto
French
German
Icelandic
Portuguese
Russian

Chinese doesn’t have spell checking at all.

In the case of the German suggestions, is there a way to
enable them?

Only in the code by changing HunspellNoSuggestionRule to HunspellRule in
German.java

Regards
Daniel

http://www.danielnaber.de

Also, please be aware that the suggestions were disabled for a reason: Performance can be really, really terrible if those are enabled.
Future releases of LT will probably solve this issue, but for the time being we have to live with it.