All fine, no bug, no issue with WritingTool on LibreOffice 24.2 and Ubuntu 24.04

This message is not about bugs or issues. I just wanted to express my thanks to @Fred.Kruse for his work on the WritingTool extension (the LibreOffice LanguageTool extension that previously was called LibreOffice extension).

In the past weeks, I have heavily used large documents and spreadsheets and I encountered zero issue/bug with WritingTool. Exept for some slow-downs grammar-checking large texts, everything worked fine. Given that I previously had major issues with the LanguageTool 6.4 extension, I thought that it is important to mention that WritingTool_2024-07-05-snapshot.oxt just works fine :slight_smile:

I am using WritingTool_2024-07-05-snapshot.oxt 2024-07-08 18:37 233M
LibreOffice 24.2
Ubuntu 24.4

Hi Gerry,
I’ve some problem with LanguageTool with LibreOffice 24.2.
At LibreOffice startup, loading a document, LanguageTool freezes the application for few seconds (around 5 to 15 seconds, I suppose it depend on the document size).

I talk us about an extension named WritingTool but I can’t find it on Internet. However, I’m interested to try it: what should I do?

Thanks
David

I’ve found it in @Fred.Kruse activity: https://fk-es.de/writingtool/snapshots/
Unfortunately for me, the problem still occurs. Here is my configuration:

LanguageTool 6.5-SNAPSHOT (2024-09-05 16:45:19 +0000, d642633)
LibreOffice 24.8.0.3 (Arch Linux), fr
Java version: 22.0.2 (Oracle Corporation)
Java max/total/free memory: 3940MB, 890MB, 172MB

I’m computer teacher, so I could help in debugging…

The application freezes due to the initialization of the spell checker (WritingTool installs its own spell checker based on LanguageTool in parallel to LO-Spell-Checker). I have just optimized the spell checker. The new version should only cause a short delay. The snapshot can be downloaded tomorrow (10.09.24) from Index of /writingtool/snapshots. Please test it and publish any errors found here: Issues · FredKruse/writingtool · GitHub

1 Like

Quickly tested this morning, a little freeze around 2-3 seconds but really acceptable.
After that, it runs smoothly (but I suspect Languagetool needs a good hardware)
Thanks a lot @Fred.Kruse