Back to LanguageTool Homepage - Privacy - Imprint

Announcement: LanguageTool 5.7

Hi, LanguageTool 5.7 has been released and can now be downloaded from here:

It includes rule updates for Catalan, Dutch, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Ukrainian.

Checksums (sha256):

0c7ca3f7fa94d298c4ffb9d342b33e31cf6e93015602227b94924e3237b5ce79  LanguageTool-5.7.zip
b64da7251d1cef5317010cc8f4891bdb1ff1ed4a9e2d83bfaea75c09f8da7b29  LanguageTool-5.7.oxt

It is not yet available through the LibreOffice/OpenOffice extension manager because I’d like to wait for feedback from people who install it manually. Also, it’s not yet available as a Maven Artifact due to some technical issue.

1 Like

LT 5.7 extension works for me properly on LibreOffice: 7.2.5.2.0+ on Linux (Fedora 35).

LT 5.7 extension did not properly install, it caused a LibreOffice freeze. However, after restarting LibreOffice, LanguageTool was in place and correctly installed. LibreOffice: Version: 7.3.1.3 / Ubuntu 21.10

LanguageTool 5.7 is now also available from the LibreOffice Extension Center.

On macOS LT 5.7 works fine for me so far. My feeling is that the installation took a bit longer than with the previous versions, but of course I could be wrong. Apart from that, I haven’t noticed anything else that would be worth reporting.

Version: 7.3.2.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 49f2b1bff42cfccbd8f788c8dc32c1c309559be0
CPU threads: 4; OS: Mac OS X 10.15.7; UI render: default; VCL: osx
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL.UTF-8); UI: nl-NL
Calc: threaded
Java version: Eclipse Temurin 17.0.2 by Adoptium

Under Manjaro Xfce LT 5.7 also works flawlessly so far. The installation was very smooth and definitely quite a bit faster than under macOS. I have not been able to find any bugs yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Version: 7.3.1.3 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:3)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.10; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL.utf8); UI: nl-NL
7.3.1-1
Calc: threaded
Java version: OpenJDK 1.8.0_332
1 Like

Under Linux, I have now unfortunately encountered a problem after all. However, I’m not sure if it’s due to LanguageTool or the new LibreOffice version, since the LT extension still worked fine up to LibreOffice version 7.3.1.

Yesterday, however, the update to LibreOffice 7.3.2 was installed under Manjaro Linux. The issue itself is strange. As long as the language setting is Dutch or German, there is no problem and LT works. For English documents, however, I cannot use LT at the moment, because as soon as the language setting is changed to English, the LanguageTool refuses to work and crashes with the following error message.

Version: 7.3.2.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.10; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL.utf8); UI: nl-NL
7.3.2-1
Calc: threaded
Java version: OpenJDK 1.8.0_332

Could you try if re-downloading and re-installing the LT extension helps?

Thank you for the quick answer. I will try that right away and report afterwards if the reinstallation solves the problem.

Well, it was worth a try, of course. But no, reinstalling the LT extension unfortunately does not remedy the situation. To check the functionality, I used the LanguageTool test document. This again throws up the following error message.

Hi, I also get an error message using English and some Arabic script. I tried many settings (paragraph check, text check) - same error. Any ideas how I could fix that?

Gerald, could you provide a document to reproduce the issue? Then @Fred.Kruse could maybe have a look.

I am very glad that I found LanguageTool. I use it with LibreOffice. It occasionally hangs up, so I save my work often.
It marks some sentences as being incomplete when they start with ‘When’ for example:
‘When he opened his eyes, all he could see was the dark water.’
I am pretty sure that this is a good sentence. Since I also use LanguageTool with Firefox, and the sentence is not marked here, it might have something to do with the LibreOffice installation.
Overall, I find it extremely useful. Thank you for creating this excellent product.
Keith

Regarding my previous error message about using the LanguageTool extension for LibreOffice under Linux, I can give the all-clear insofar as it was or is probably a Manjaro/Arch-related problem. Last weekend I installed the new Ubuntu LTS release 22.04, and under Ubuntu the LT extension works fine even with English language settings without throwing up an error message. :slight_smile:

Version: 7.3.2.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL.UTF-8); UI: nl-NL
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.2-0ubuntu2
Calc: threaded
Java version: OpenJDK 11.0.15 (default-jre)