Beginner questions about Rules

Hi all,

I am new to LanguageTool…Currently trying to figure out meaning of each element of the rules, but looks like very complex to understand them all and I could not find a detailed and simple explanation except the Development Overview…

Some of my confusion about the rules are:

1. In Category, can I set the type attribute to any other value besides the Quality Issue Type, like some type coined myself…

2. How to understand this simple rule, please give me an example
    A
    <!-what does this mean? -->
    B

3)How to understand the scope attribute, please give me an example
bothand
as
well
as

In addition, please give an example about the scope=“current”?

1. Totally confused about these texts in Development Overview:
    "For example, we want to match tak after jak which is not preceded by a comma:

tak
jak
tak,"

means: “tak…jak tak” with exceptional example “tak…,jak tak” ???

5)please give me examples to explain the exception for this rule? Is “ani…,…ani” an correct exception?

ani|ni|i|lub|albo|czy|oraz,

1. Please give me some examples to explain the rule?

has|have

Possible agreement error – use past participle here:
  1. You can only use the given attributes. Your editor should be aware of XML and only offer the valid ones.

2. will match any word

3. it will match “both … as well as”, but not if there’s a comma at “…”. scope=“current” is just the default, you can ignore that.

4. That will match (I think) “tak jak … tak”, where there’s no comma at “…”

5. it will match “ani … ani”, but not “ani … , … ani”

6. Please see the ""s that come with every rule. example type=“incorrect” are sentences that are matched by the rule, example type=“correct” are sentences that are not matched by the rule.

I remember my own start at LT a few years ago.
It looks complicated, but if you start trying some simple rules in your own language and get them working, you will soon be missing features, and find good examples in the wiki when needed.
(Actually, even the advanced feature of LT are easier to understand than the language itself :wink: )

Are you targeting a specific language? If so, you wight find help here from teh maintainer of that language.

Ruud

English, only…

Thanks.

Thanks. Some questions followed:

1. You can only use the given attributes. Your editor should be aware of XML and only offer the valid ones.

2. will match any word

3. it will match “both … as well as”, but not if there’s a comma at “…”. scope=“current” is just the default, you can ignore that.

-----Do you mean “it will match “both … as well as”, but not if there’s a AND at “…”. scope=“current” is just the default, you can ignore that.”

1. That will match (I think) “tak jak … tak”, where there’s no comma at “…”

2. it will match “ani … ani”, but not “ani … , … ani”

3. Please see the ""s that come with every rule. example type=“incorrect” are sentences that are matched by the rule, example type=“correct” are sentences that are not matched by the rule.

-----
has|have

Possible agreement error – use past participle here:
. <!-- here “no=2” stands for which word?->

1. Sorry, you’re right - the exception refers to “and”, not to a comma.

Also, you might want to start with the rule editor at Create a new LanguageTool rule - it doesn’t have all the features, but is easier to use.