Check on quotes

I am quite sure checking for paired quotes was ‘on’ in the Dutch LT. Somehow, it seems to be off now.

"Dat is gek!

Does not trigger any message.

Any idea what might have happened?

There are several quote characters, but this one is missing. That’s maybe because, at least in German, it’s also used in e.g. 3,5"-Diskette. As there are no floppy disks anymore, I’ll add it to both Dutch and German.

Ah… Since people don’t type ‘nice’ quotes in web texts, I do my very best to downgrade all strange combinations of character that show as a open or closing quote into the plain " or '.

I guess it is good to add it. Maybe even make an exception for " after a digit and before a space? " is also used as inch for lengths.

Missing quotes was in the English version, but when I have upgraded to some of the more recent versions I find it removed. Any way to get it back? I understand the example above but a that if you use " to represent inches you will get the same error but I would just use the ignore button.

Language Tool only picks up unpaired regular quotation marks, but if you use smart or curly quotes, un-paired quotation marks are not picked up.

I just tried it on Browse LanguageTool Rules: 5,836 matches for English

In looking through my \languagetool\rules\en\grammar.xml file at the <rulegroup id=“EN_QUOTES” I see that " is use throughout. However, I use Open Office and Times New Roman as the font, which uses U+201C of opening quotes and U+201D for closing quotes as it’s a Unicode font.

Could this be why it doesn’t see any missing quotes?

If so should I make a copy of the .xml file and edit the " into their respective U+201C & U+201D or would that not work because of the file type?

Thanks
Brent

I have also taken some text that had smart/curly quotes, pasted it in to notepad so the quotes were immediately transformed, then copied and pasted it into Openoffice. OO recognized that they were not smart quotes and when I ran the language tool it changed the first quote to smart quotes but then could not recognize the closing quote???
Very interesting in a not so good way.