Back to LanguageTool Homepage - Privacy - Imprint

[en] Rule missing - 2018-06-06

(Marco A.G.Pinto) #1

Hello @Mike_Unwalla

I pasted this sentence into MS Word 2016:
“In some cases we will have to start from a long-time gone position, the last known clean text version of the dictionary.”

It suggested to add a comma after “cases”.

I tried LT Plus and it didn’t detect the missing punctuation.

Is it possible to improve it?

Thanks!

(Ruud Baars) #2

Are you sure it is needed there? While reading out loud, there is no pause, or is there?

(Marco A.G.Pinto) #3

I am not sure, but MS Word reported it as a grammar error, that is why I posted here.

(Mike Unwalla) #4

Hi @Ruud_Baars , You can use a comma after ‘cases’. That’s my preference. Recommended by Kohl in the ‘Global English Style Guide’ section 4.5.3. Some well-respected writers do not always use a comma for this type of adverbial. Here are some examples from the Economist, May 12-18 2008, some with a comma, some without:

In the past four decades average house prices in Britain …
On May 7th hundreds of officials gathered in the ballroom of the …
Just two months ago Malcolm Turnbull came within a whisker of winning parliament’s approval for…
Two years ago, if you had asked experts to identify the …
In the spring of 1991, Indian officials desperate to fend off a balance-of-payments crunch…

Hi @marcoagpinto, for improvements to LT Plus, you need to ask @danielnaber.

(Marco A.G.Pinto) #5

Hi Mike,

I don’t know if it is an improvement for LT Plus only.

Due to the fact that LT Plus has more English rules than the free version, I now try to check my text in Word 2016.

(Ruud Baars) #6

You might be correct. But I dislike copying rules from copyrighted sources anyway. Unless there is permission :wink: