Feature Request / Discussion: Customizing rule priorities for specific project workflows

Hey everyone,

I’ve been using LanguageTool heavily across both personal projects and technical documentation work, and it’s easily become an indispensable part of my daily writing routine.

While the default rule checks and the personal dictionary cover most use cases brilliantly, I’ve run into a bit of a friction point when switching between casual writing and strict technical documentation. Sometimes, formatting conventions or specialized domain jargon require a more granular approach to how errors or style suggestions are prioritized.

How do other power users here manage strict style guides across vastly different writing environments? Are there specific workflow tricks or rule adjustments you rely on to keep false positives to a minimum when dealing with hybrid technical texts? Would love to hear how others tackle this!

Hi @louisowen2608 ,

Some examples of exactly what you mean would be useful.

Could you use the stand-alone version of LT and delete the rules that are not necessary? (That is what I do, amongst other things, to make a checker https://www.simplified-english.co.uk/design.html#lt-changes for ASD-STE100.)

Useful approach. For multi-project workflows, using custom optionsfile configs lets you toggle rule sets per directory instead of modifying the core installation.

Hi @Mike_Unwalla Thanks for the suggestion :slightly_smiling_face: ! That makes sense for a single dedicated style guide, but since I bounce between technical docs and regular writing on the same machine, deleting rules globally feels a bit too permanent. Really like the idea of checking out your customized setup though—gonna take a look at that link!