French language does not only exist in France

Hi,

Unlike for English and German, it is not possible with LT to select a country for French. But it would be very useful.

2 Likes

Hello again,

Sorry, I still don’t know this forum well.

The example of a famous Quebec proofreader:

1 Like

Hi @merinos!

Many thanks for your feedback, and for taking the time to reach out.

As of now, we are focussing on France’s standard for French, as well as those aspects that most standards of French share in common - at least in formal written text.

That said, in the future, we will definitely support other varieties of French. However, I cannot yet make any promises as to when exactly that will be.

Cheers,

Udo

2 Likes

I’d like to upvote this. There are key differences in the way things are said in France and in Québec, even at the grammatical and spelling level, but most especially at the vocabulary and stylistic level.

1 Like

I would second that when it comes to typography, European French and Canadian French are very different. For instance, in Canada there is no space before double punctuations (: ; ! ? etc.). I can disable this rule but now, when I am writing a text that’s intended for a European audience, it does not correct this mistake.

I think it should be a priority for LT in French to implement BETA support for variants so that contributors can start working on variant-specific rules. As another poster mentioned, Antidote is a long-time industry standard software when it comes to French proofreading. However, their business model has been questionable as of late, and I don’t believe they necessarily value privacy the way you do. It would be amazing to be able to replace Antidote with LanguageTool.

@hyacinthe

Excuse me, but European French does not exist.
In Switzerland, we do the same as you in Canada with the " : ; ! ? ".
And in publishing industry (and in theory), we use a small space (and not a normal one, like our French neighbors).

1 Like

Appologies if I offended you, my use of the term “european” in this case was only to simplify, as i did not want to list (nor that I know particularly the ins-and-outs of) all the variants of european French (besides my own native language :clipperton_island:). Happy to hear that our Swiss neighbours feel the same about using regional variants in LT.

The answers to a new workbook on spoken French in Switzerland:

The book involved: Parlons suisse!

For French people in France who can’t understand the problem, a few words in Québécois (not recommended for children): Bon Cop, Bad Cop - Swearing Lessons (English Subtitles) - YouTube

I would second that when it comes to typography, European French and Canadian French are very different.

@miikebross

Once again… European French doesn’t exist.

My link to the book mentioned in my May 15 post has changed:

@miikebross

Just because 3 countries touch (Belgium, France and Switzerland) doesn’t mean they have the same typographic rules.

Especially as Belgium and Switzerland have a federal political system and are officially multilingual.

And the situation of our German-speaking friends:

Thanks for this thread… very helpful.