Iberian language names and more

I noticed that there are a few Iberian language and dialect names currently not recognised as words by the British English dictionary of LanguageTool. (The Portuguese translation of their names isn’t considered incorrect, so they’ve been added there. Not sure if they’ve been added in the American English dictionary)

• Leonese (Dialect)
  • Mirandese (Dialect/language. Co-official in Portugal)
  • Asturleonese/Astur-leonese (Language that contains the dialects Asturian, Leonese, and, according to some, Mirandese and Extremaduran)

The word Transnistria and Somaliland are also not recognised, and though not (recognised) countries, both are also words for regions and should probably be included.

Side-note: British English tries to suggest recognize when I write “recognise” stating the following

“In British English, for some verbs, both ~s and ~z spellings are possible. By default, the rule for Oxford spelling is on for verbs and thus suggests ‘recognized’.”

I’m a bit confused on how this works, the default according to Oxford is recognize, but it also states both are correct. If Oxford spelling allows for both when it comes to British spelling anyway, should the extension suggest a change?

A few more:

Ryukyuan, as in the Ryukyuan languages/people. (Ryukyu is added however)

Swaziland also renamed itself to Eswatini. The latter is missing

Also, please keep this thread open. As I use the tool I tend to find words missing, so I might as well post them all here instead of opening a new thread for each

Acadians - The other French speaking people group in Canada other than Quebecois.
Lusophone - A Portuguese or Portuguese Creole speaker
Annabonese - Portuguese Creole language in Equatorial Guinea
Kristang - Another Creole language, but from Malacca
Disestablishmentarianism & antidisestablishmentarianism
Quadcopter (One word, not two according to Cambridge)

@Claud, thanks. I will deal with the names soon (for the English spelling/parts of speech).

It’s not only the extension. LT stand-alone also suggests the z spelling. The rule is on by default because it is much easier to deactivate a rule than it is to activate a rule that you don’t know exists.

1 Like

Done: [en] Add proper nouns and spellings · languagetool-org/languagetool@f6377af · GitHub

1 Like