Language Tool 2.4 crashes Libreoffice

This is the error message:

If the picture does not work, here is the text:

An error has occurred in LanguageTool 2.4:
ja va.lang.OutOfMemory Error unable to create new native thread
Stacktrace:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError unable to create new native thread
at ja va.lang.Thread.startO( Native Method)
at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
atjava.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(Unknown Source)
atjava.utilxoncurrenLAbstractExecutorService.invokeAII(Unknown Source)
at org languagetool.MultiThreadedJLanguageTool.performCheck(MultiThreadedJLanguageTool.java:96)
at org languagetool.JLanguageTool.check(JLanguageTool.java:571)
at org languagetool.JLanguageTool.check(JLanguageTool.java:529)
at org languagetool.openoffice.Main.doGrammarCheckinglnternal(Main.java:313)
at org languagetool.openoffice.Main.doProofreading(Main.java:251)
OS: Windows 8 on x86, Java version 24.51-b03 from Oracle Corporation

Libreoffice 4.2.2.1, OS: Win 8.1 64 Bit

Same crash with LanguageTool-20140305-snapshot.
Any help?

Do you have any Java start parameters set? Here’s a screenshot where no parameters are set:

Does it happen only for large texts? Does it happen immediately or only after some time?

Am 05.03.2014 20:32, schrieb dnaber [via LanguageTool User Forum]:

Do you have any Java start parameters set? Here’s a screenshot where
no parameters are set:

Does it happen only for large texts? Does it happen immediately or
only after some time?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the
discussion below:
http://languagetool-user-forum.2306527.n4.nabble.com/Language-Tool-2-4-crashes-Libreoffice-tp4641457p4641458.html

To unsubscribe from Language Tool 2.4 crashes Libreoffice, click here
http://languagetool-user-forum.2306527.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=4641457&code=ZS5zdGVpbWVsQHdlYi5kZXw0NjQxNDU3fC0xMzMyMTY3NDQ5.
NAML
http://languagetool-user-forum.2306527.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html!nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers!nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails!nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email!nabble%3Aemail.naml

I have no start parameters set for Java.
It seems to happen only with large texts. I am writing a rather long
text. In the beginning I had no problems, but now it is already 64 pages
long and Libreoffice crashes after a few seconds every time I open the
text. If I open only a two page text there is no crash.

Thank you for trying to help me.
Edgar

I will try to reproduce this in the next days and then post my findings, and hopefully a solution, here.

My attempts to reproduce this problem have not been successful yet. I tried with a 145 page document in English. Is your text in English, too? How much memory does your computer have, and is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Do you have other software running that takes a lot of memory?

Here are some links for developers, just for myself as a reference:

Am 08.03.2014 20:34, schrieb dnaber [via LanguageTool User Forum]:

My attempts to reproduce this problem have not been successful yet. I
tried with a 145 page document in English. Is your text in English,
too? How much memory does your computer have, and is it 32 bit or 64
bit? Do you have other software running that takes a lot of memory?

Here are some links for developers, just for myself as a reference:
OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread – Problem Demystified ~ Java EE Support Patterns
out of memory - "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError : unable to create new native Thread" - Stack Overflow

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the
discussion below:
http://languagetool-user-forum.2306527.n4.nabble.com/Language-Tool-2-4-crashes-Libreoffice-tp4641457p4641471.html

To unsubscribe from Language Tool 2.4 crashes Libreoffice, click here
http://languagetool-user-forum.2306527.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=4641457&code=ZS5zdGVpbWVsQHdlYi5kZXw0NjQxNDU3fC0xMzMyMTY3NDQ5.
NAML
http://languagetool-user-forum.2306527.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html!nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers!nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails!nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email!nabble%3Aemail.naml

If possible (available) I use German versions of every software. I am
writing in German. I have 16 GB memory. I usually have a lot of free
memory. My laptop runs on Win 8.1 64 Bit.
Edgar

I cannot reproduce this with a large German document (145 pages) either. You could try setting a Java start parameter of “-Xmx600M” (see screenshot earlier in this thread). Is that document a personal document or could you share it so I can try it?

I tried again with setting a Java start parameter of “-Xmx600M”.
Libreoffice crashed again with this window:

And then with that:

I used this version of LanguageTool:
LanguageTool-20140312-snapshot.oxt

Could the error be caused by an incompatibility of some add-ons?
Or other installed software?
Edgar

I’m running out of ideas what might cause this. Other add-ons, especially Java-based ones, might cause this. So far, this is the only report of this sort that we’ve received.

I updated LibreOffice to version 4.2.3.1, LanguageTool to version LanguageTool-20140318-snapshot.oxt and Java to version 1.8.0 (Oracle) and tried again. The crash-message remained nearly the same:

Very sad.

I also tried to open several long German texts. LanguageTool crashes with all those texts, so it is no special issue with the text I am writing.

By the way: As long as I do not open a long text there is no crash.
And: There is no problem with any long text if I do not load LanguageTool.

I also tried to open long texts with Apache OpenOffice 4.01 with LanguageTool loaded.
It crashes too.

It’s to Administrator — may it helps to understand the cause of LT crashes.
I use LibreOffice on MacBook Air as well as on MacBook Pro.
I hadn’t noticed any problem until Java 7 occurred and Apple refused to support it.
After this operation I couldn’t install LT v. 2.4 at all, although v. 2.2 is still perfectly working.
I had noticed that no problem occurs with OpenOffice on Windows 7 – neither with Java 7_51 nor with LT v. 2.4.
What I can say is that something happened in the team building the LT — probably after changing the Java platform from 7_22 to newer one (my problem starts from Java 7_45).
With best regards, K.

Are you aware of Support : LanguageTool? Have you tried those tips?

Yes, I read the “Checklist in Case of Problems”, but my problem is not addressed there.
I also opened the “LanguageTool Test Document” and it works fine with LT.
As said: no problem with short documents.

I thought that the error-message gives you a hint where to look for the error …
I’m no expert but to me it seems to be a java problem with LT on long texts.

By the way: I just tried to open a long English text with LibreOffice and LanguageTool.
It crashed with nearly the same error-message.

Edgar

You could try pasting the (plain) text into the stand-alone GUI of LanguageTool, to see if the same problem occurs there. What other add-ons do you have installed in LibreOffice?

Strange as it is the LT standalone (ver. 2.5) works with long texts without any problem.
I installed the new final LT extension 2.5 in Libreoffice 4.2.3.2 - and it crashes just the same.
My other installed extensions are:

Edgar