Language Tool Open Office Mac

I’m helping a friend download language tool in the Breton language for Open Office on a Mac but I keep getting the following message when I try to add it in extensions “Could not create Java implementation loader”.

I’ve tried the following advice too but to no avail: ““If you get “Could not create Java implementation loader”, try this: Got to Tools → Options → Java, uncheck “Use a Java runtime environment”, exit OpenOffice.org and start it again, check “Use a Java runtime environment” again and try to install/activate the LanguageTool extension””.

Can you help?

Philip

Hi

Glad someone is using (or trying to use!) the Breton grammar checker :slight_smile:
I don’t know why yet you get this error. Which Java runtime
version is used in OpenOffice/LibreOffice window Tools-> Options… → Java?

On my machine (Ubuntu-12.04), it reports “Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_24)”
which I find strange by the way since I thought it would be using Open-jdk6
and not Sun JDK.

I heard that Java-7 does not work well with LanguageTool (whatever that means)
and that Java-6 is still recommended.

Chañs vat deoc’h!
A galon

On Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2012, you wrote:

I heard that Java-7 does not work well with LanguageTool (whatever that
means)

It’s slower than Java 6 when used with LibreOffice/OpenOffice. On a fast
computer and with the latest LibreOffice (which fixes the freeze bug) one
shouldn’t notice a difference.

Regards
Daniel

http://www.danielnaber.de

So what is the conclusion then? What should I do.

It’s a mac I-book with Open Office. I have no idea what Java is installed. Should I install the latest Libre Office and try again?

[quote=“Philip R Hosking”]
I have no idea what Java is installed.[/quote]

That’s why I wrote to go to Tools → Options… → Java in OpenOffice (or LibreOffice)
It will tell you which java version is installed.

If you don’t see it the Java version there, then you don’t have Java installed.
If so, you need to install the Java JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

See:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

In my first post I wrote the following:

I’ve tried the following advice too but to no avail: ““If you get “Could not create Java implementation loader”, try this: Got to Tools → Options → Java, uncheck “Use a Java runtime environment”, exit OpenOffice.org and start it again, check “Use a Java runtime environment” again and try to install/activate the LanguageTool extension””.

It’s a Mac. They come with Java.

Hi Philip:

That still does not answer the question I asked: which version of Java is installed?
In the previous comments, I described how you can find the version of Java which is installed on your machine.
The following screenshot shows for example the Java version installed on my machine (Ubuntu-12.04) when I do Tools → Options… → Java

Perhaps your version is tool old. That’s why I ask which version of Java you’re using.

Perhaps knowing which version of LibreOffice or OpenOffice you are using is useful too. You can find this with Help → About LibreOffice.

I’ll have to wait. Its not my computer and I won’t see her again until next week. Thanks for the info and I’ll get back to you when I know more.