Looking for testers of the new Firefox add-on

Seems to work OK for Dutch.

This add-on is great! I like the way that it shows the suggestions: very clear and easy to use.

You can ignore that, it’s only visible in developer mode and won’t be shown to the common users.

I second that. Nu fuss, no tech details, just functionality. Nevertheless, a question: are the personal dictionaries language aware? i.e. words stored for the detected language only?
(And there is a false positive in this text… I guess.)

No. As these are often names and to keep it simple, they are currently global.

In OpenOffice I use two sets of personal dictionaries, a global set for names and a per-language set for, among other things, rare permutations of words, in-universe legalese (EG: explicify: to make an implicit fact of law, explicit, primarily used in the past tense to differentiate from mere codification) and (perhaps in-universe) slang.

So I think it may help to have at least the option to add a word locally instead of globally.

e.g. sentence “Зараз десь когось нема” has 3 Ukrainian words that are not present in Russian and 4th one that is only used in poetry etc, it’s detected as Russian.
I wonder if that’s what fasttext library we’re using returning, so I may need to open issue at their github

Another interesting example: I entered 2 Ukrainian words and when I click on “2 errors” indicator it says English (American) but fix suggestions are from Serbian(?)

Yes, it’s a fasttext issue. I wonder whether they will consider this an error, as their approach is 100% machine learning and short texts are known to be difficult. But it’s worth a try.

Serbian is detected but it’s not in the drop-down… I’ve added that to my personal to do list.

Another thing I noticed is it starts checking very quickly, I type pretty fast and I can see the wave begins while I am still typing my first word (which is too early for language detection anyway). I wonder if it makes sense to either wait for user to pause, detect spaces/punctuation, or just make a check delay a bit longer.

perhaps a minimum word count for language detection is useful.

Does anybody here use Wordpress with Gutenberg? We received reports of the add-on not working for Gutenberg, but cannot reproduce it yet.

When trying to use my languagetoolplus account I get the message “Es tut uns leid, beim Prüfen ist etwas schiefgelaufen”.

Maybe there’s a typo in your email or password? We’re going to improve the error message for that case.

I don’t think so but I can try again this evening.

Besides, both plugins shouldn’t show the ad for LanguageTool Plus when I’ve connected them to my account.

I get an error on some Wikipedia pages. I suspect the text is too long, but I don’t get any explanation. It would be nice if we could expose a bit more info about the error.
Also, I wonder if in this case we could allow user to check text partially or allow to check the selection only.

Please try version 2.0.10.1 now linked above, it should provide improved feedback.

:+1:

It does work now with the current version.

1 Like

Any news? I’d love to start using this without having to install it every day.