Back to LanguageTool Homepage - Privacy - Imprint

Looking for testers of the new Firefox add-on

(Daniel Naber) #1

We’ve successfully released a major update of our browser add-on for Chrome a few weeks ago. We’re now working on releasing the same add-on for Firefox, but we need your help to test it!

The new add-on works almost anywhere on the web and it will underline potential issues like this (using Slack as an example):


If you’re a Firefox user, please help us test the add-on and let us know your feedback here. Here’s how to install the new add-on:

  1. Deactivate or uninstall the existing LanguageTool add-on first, if you’re using it (you don’t have to do this, but it’s recommended)
  2. Download this file: firefox_language_tool.xpi (348KB, vrsion firefox_language_tool.xpi (341KB, version 2.0.10) firefox_language_tool.xpi (340KB, version 2.0.9)
  3. Enter about:debugging in the browser’s address bar
  4. Click “Load temporary add-on…”
  5. Select the downloaded file
  6. Confirm the privacy dialog and the add-on should be ready for use
  7. Note that directly after installation, it might be required to reload a tab on which you want the add-on to work
  8. Please note: Due to a limitation in Firefox, the add-on will be gone when you restart Firefox. This is due to the development mode, the final add-on will not have that issue.

(Daniel Naber) pinned #2

(Andriy) #3

I’ve just tried to install this xpi on latest Firefox (both Linux and Windows) and it says “cannot be installed as it looks corrupt”.

(Daniel Naber) #4

Did you use the “Load temporary add-on…” button? I noticed that dragging the *.xpi onto the Firefox window gives me the “corrupt” message, too. But selecting the file in the file dialog works.

(Daniel Naber) #5

Please also note that you really need to be on about:debugging, the standard add-on page will not work.

(Andriy) #6

Ahh, my bad, was too excited so didn’t read carefully :slight_smile:
Works pretty good, although for some short Ukrainian texts it checks it as Russian even though the web-page has <html lang=“uk” and my browser has Ukrainian language in preferences.
I’ll keep testing and will report if I find anything else.

(Andriy) #7

I’ve tested it on several sites and it looks pretty good.
Several notes:

  1. once it started checking and never stopped (at least after ~2 min), I suspect maybe connection was lost? not a biggie, page refresh takes care of it, not sure if it’s easy to implement some timeout
  2. language detection on short sentences is flimsy, e.g. as I mentioned Ukrainian text often considered Russian, also I think IPA may trigger treating English as other languages (e.g. “downloadd [ˌdaʊnˈləʊd, ˈdaʊnloʊd]” will check with Russian similar phrases with German etc); I wonder if it’s possible with auto-detect to indicate which language was chosen (before I click)
  3. I noticed no-break space (U+00A0) gets removed when checking, so the check thinks there’s no space (this one I found on Wikipedia page, e.g. see “1905 р.”)

(Daniel Naber) #8

There should be a timeout already. If you have a way to reproduce this, please let me know.

Could you provide some specific examples?

(Mike Unwalla) #9

After I accept the LT privacy notice, FF 63.0.3 gives a message about an ‘unexpected property’.

The add-on seems to work fine (not done much testing).

(Mike Unwalla) #10

(Ruud Baars) #11

Seems to work OK for Dutch.

(Mike Unwalla) #12

This add-on is great! I like the way that it shows the suggestions: very clear and easy to use.

(Daniel Naber) #13

You can ignore that, it’s only visible in developer mode and won’t be shown to the common users.

(Ruud Baars) #14

I second that. Nu fuss, no tech details, just functionality. Nevertheless, a question: are the personal dictionaries language aware? i.e. words stored for the detected language only?
(And there is a false positive in this text… I guess.)

(Daniel Naber) #15

No. As these are often names and to keep it simple, they are currently global.

(Lodewijk Arie van Brienen) #16

In OpenOffice I use two sets of personal dictionaries, a global set for names and a per-language set for, among other things, rare permutations of words, in-universe legalese (EG: explicify: to make an implicit fact of law, explicit, primarily used in the past tense to differentiate from mere codification) and (perhaps in-universe) slang.

So I think it may help to have at least the option to add a word locally instead of globally.

(Andriy) #17

e.g. sentence “Зараз десь когось нема” has 3 Ukrainian words that are not present in Russian and 4th one that is only used in poetry etc, it’s detected as Russian.
I wonder if that’s what fasttext library we’re using returning, so I may need to open issue at their github

Another interesting example: I entered 2 Ukrainian words and when I click on “2 errors” indicator it says English (American) but fix suggestions are from Serbian(?)


(Daniel Naber) #18

Yes, it’s a fasttext issue. I wonder whether they will consider this an error, as their approach is 100% machine learning and short texts are known to be difficult. But it’s worth a try.

Serbian is detected but it’s not in the drop-down… I’ve added that to my personal to do list.

(Andriy) #19

Another thing I noticed is it starts checking very quickly, I type pretty fast and I can see the wave begins while I am still typing my first word (which is too early for language detection anyway). I wonder if it makes sense to either wait for user to pause, detect spaces/punctuation, or just make a check delay a bit longer.

(Lodewijk Arie van Brienen) #20

perhaps a minimum word count for language detection is useful.