[pt] Idea for rule - "POIS" REMOVAL - 2022-03-03

Hello @rjlima

I was writing an e-mail and I came up with this idea:

“Já não tenho médica de família, POIS ela está grávida e ausente de baixa até ao fim do ano.”

The idea here would be to remove “pois” and also the comma after it if someone writes it.

I’m not sure yet if it should check for noun (“família”) before or if verbs, etc. will also produce the same valid results.

The idea of the rule is to check if after the “pois” it has a “ela(s)” or “ele(s)”.

The rule ID could probably be:SIMPLIFICAR_POIS_REMOVER

I can code it at 5am.

What is your opinion?

Thanks!

Hi,
The sentence would be “Já não tenho médica de família ela está grávida e ausente de baixa até ao fim do ano”? I guess not. You say “to remove “pois” and also the comma after it if someone writes it.” so was there supposed to be a comma after pois? But if both pois and the comma are removed and the result is as I showed above, at least, in Brazilian portuguese, the sentence is odd.

ahhhhh

What I meant was to suggest replacing:

“Já não tenho médica de família, POIS ela está grávida e ausente de baixa até ao fim do ano.”

with:

“Já não tenho médica de família, ela está grávida e ausente de baixa até ao fim do ano.”

Ah ok! Well, for me, the absence of pois doesn’t affect much this sentence but we should see the effect in other cases, so it is worth proposing the rule.
And if possible and if it makes sense to you, a rule to flag pois between two commas. In the sentence above, “Já não tenho médico de família, pois, ela está…” is awkard. It is licensed in cases like “Eu quero descansar, pois, amanhã, terei muito trabalho.” where something after the comma (pois,) also has a comma (amanhã,). The comma after pois would appear not because of pois but because of the expression following it, that should be between commas.

cool!

We have a plan!

At 5am!

@rjlima

Here it is:

I also wanted to expand it to “estas, estes”, but the results didn’t “sound” too well.