[pt] Some possible false positives in a book I am translating

Hello @tiagosantos

In the 2000s I was translating a book.

My last revision of it was in 2009 and the next planned “complete” revision is maybe this year (2017) or the next (2018) since I lack the time.

Here are some of the dozens of hits I got using the nightly:

1. “A Telepatia é a faculdade natural inerente em todas as formas de vida, para comunicarem os seus sentimentos a todas as outras formas.”
    It complains that I am repeating the word. Not really sure about this one though.

2. " (…) e nenhum é igual ao outro."

3. “De tempos em tempos, uma mente inquiridora retira um volume dos arquivos”
    Repeated word?

4. “(…) é bondoso com o ansioso pesquisador; e concede-lhe uma dica adicional para o estimular a deslindar o mistério.”
    It says I am using informal.

5. “(…) levando-o a investigar mais longe.”

6. “Assim, o homem avança nos seus conhecimentos”
    informal?

7. “Pois atrás de todo o fenómeno aparente ou deduzido, jaze a Inteligência Cósmica”

8. “(…) é uma linguagem tão simples que até mesmo um bebé recém-nascido poderia entender.”

9. “(…) ou transferir-se a ela mesma de um objecto para outro.”

10. O seu carácter não pode ser ocultado (…)”

11. “A Telepatia foi o meio de comunicação que usei durante o meu primeiro encontro com um visitante de outro planeta,”

12. “(…) e a Lei será o seu professor.”

13. “(…) diferindo de pessoa para pessoa.”
    Repeated word?

14. “Se esta lição puder ser de algum valor para si, você deve começar por si mesmo.”
    Informal?

15. " (…) não conduziram a lado nenhum."

16. “Após uma observação cuidadosa, descobri que outros, usando esta mesma tendência de raciocínio, também não tinham conseguido resultados satisfatórios.”

17. “(…) todas obtiveram o seu sustento da mesma fonte.”

18. O meu problema foi então, (…)”

19. “Portanto, eu não podia permanecer separado, pois, era um face à criação.”

20. “(…) e o conhecimento de que se virou vem-lhe como um alerta ou sensação (…)”

21. “(…) e, como sabemos, cada um tem a capacidade de actuar independentemente dos outros.”

22. “Tudo isto prova-nos que os quatro sentidos funcionam independentemente uns dos outros.”

23. “De forma nenhuma!”

24. “O acto de transmissão do pensamento, clarividência, premonição, ou qualquer outro termo que escolha usar para a (…)”

25. “Isto não altera a teoria, uma vez que cada um dos quatro sentidos possuem esta faculdade de sentir (…)”

26. “(…) são os nossos fieis amigos (…)”

27. “Foi a atitude aceite há muito.”

28. “(…) de forma que a discussão entre eles não pode ser satisfatoriamente resolvida.”

29. “Novamente, a discussão desencadear-se-á entre os sentidos, cada um seguro de estar certo. Na realidade ambos estão certos.”

30. “(…) de estação em estação,”
    Maybe there should be an exception in “de XXX em XXX” (and “de XXX para XXX”)?

I am on page 21 of the translation, out of ~80 pages A4.

@tiagosantos, the above may sound like a lot of effort but there are only a few rules causing them. By improving just a few rules, most of the hits would be fixed.

:slight_smile:

Thank you for your time!

Kind regards,

It will take me a while to review all these, but I will have a look into it.

A few things that I have noticed though.

1. This is OK. I reactivated a very sensitive repetition rule. It searches for nouns and adjectives with repeated lemma on the sentence. If you find it too sensitive, make “ignore all” and it will revert to the warning, only when the lemma is repeated three times.
    More examples may be due to this rule. Please, tell me about the warning on each one.

2. “tempos a tempos” does not trigger and is the more appropriate form of that expressions.

7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 17 and maybe more. are due to a rule I added a couple of days ago FRAGMENT_TWO_WORDS.
I have completely disabled the rule by commenting it out, and I will rework it on a very contained manner.
Please, test tonight snapshot and confirm which of these false positives remain.

@jaumeortola @Mike_Unwalla

<token postag='D.+' postag_regexp='yes'/> <token inflected='yes' ><match no='1' postag='D.+' postag_regexp='yes'/></token>

This portion is not giving me the expected results, and the second matched token is having very odd detections, but it may be due to a problem similar to issue 657. Anyway, I am having much less time to dedicate to LT, so I may not have diagnosed this properly.

Very good. I have pushed this exception now.

There was a flaw in one the sub-rules of that rulegroup. The fix will be pushed after tonight’s regression tests.
With the fragment issue fixed, I believe that only borderline cases remain, that will need antipatterns.

Please, confirm with tomorrow 's snapshot which false positives persist.

Thanks, Tiago, Tomorrow night I will retest. :slight_smile:

I just need courage to check all ~80 A4 pages… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

@tiagosantos

I haven’t forgot to check the text.

It still detects lots of grammar issues.

I was wondering if the rule of repeated words could be changed from two to three?

For example:
"As notas dos exames são importantes e devemos ter boas notas na maioria deles."

I believe the rule is too sensitive with just two words.

I also noticed that you have made improvements in the rules, so I will check the book tonight.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

No hurries with that. Today I pushed a lot of changes and I will lose a lot of time tracking the changes in the regression tests.

There are two versions. The user can simply make ‘Ignore all’ and have the three word version working. If even that is too, they can do ‘Ignore All’ again and fully ignore this advise. Mind that this is a style rule, and is recommended in all style guides for all languages [at least the ones I know].
This would be even better if we had the different colour underline in LibreOffice. Website UI also does it right.
What can be done is to add more exceptions for idiomatic expressions, like the ones you mentioned earlier.

‘Stylewise’ you should replace the second ‘notas’ by a synomym, a pronoun or rephrase the sentence.
For example:
“As notas dos exames são importantes e a maioria deve ser boa.” Rephrase
ou
"“As notas dos exames são importantes e devemos ter boas classificações na maioria deles.” Synonym

I will add the explanation link to those rules.
https://pt.wikiversity.org/wiki/Norma_padrão_da_língua_portuguesa/Repetições_e_elipses