Self-hosted LanguageTool and MS Word Add-in

Tried to use my self-hosted version of the LanguageTool as server for the Word Add-in. Unfortunately i could’t make it work. MS word couldn’t connect to my server.

Is the Word Add In even supported with the self-hostet NON-premium version of LanguageTool?

If so, how can i get it to work? Does my server need to have a SSL Certificate? Or is do you need to tweak the Add In Rules (Trust Score) within MS Word.

Thanks for your help guys!

Regards,

Erwin

It’s supposed to work, and it works for me using http://localhost:8081/v2:

word

Thanks for the Reply.
What keeps me wondering, is that the chrome extension works just fine using the same configuration and server address. Only the Word Add-In cant connect to the self hosted machine
NoConnection

Have you tried starting the LT server with --allow-origin "*"?

Is it possible to set the --allow-origin “*” parameter while using LT as a docker container?
Or do i need to install LT from source ?

I’m sure it’s possible, but I don’t know the technical details… do you use one of the community-contributed Docker files (GitHub - languagetool-org/languagetool: Style and Grammar Checker for 25+ Languages)?

I’m having the same issue. I can connect to my self-hosted instance (Docker) with the Chrome extension as well as curl, but the Word add-in cannot see the server. When looking at the server log output, it isn’t even receiving a connection attempt.

What’s the command you have used to start the server? Which URL have you set in the configuration?

The command I run is:

java -cp languagetool-server.jar org.languagetool.server.HTTPServer --port 8081 --allow-origin “*” --public --config config.txt

Though I admit I’ve looked for documentation on the configuration file and only found a few options, so the entries are few:

fasttextModel=/usr/share/fasttext/lid.176.bin
fasttextBinary=/usr/bin/fasttext
warmUp=true

The command looks good, so the issue might more be with Docker or the network setup.

Looks like Word just won’t issue requests that don’t use SSL. How could I easily use something like LetsEncrypt with my deployment?