Back to LanguageTool Homepage - Privacy - Imprint

Share language rules?

(Brent S Engle) #1

Hello,

I have a windows 10 laptop with Open Office 4.1.5 with Language Tool 4.3 that I use to first write stories. I run the Language Tool and yes it picks up a lot of spelling errors as it should.

I then cut and paste into Sigil version 0.9.10 and run the Language plugin and it finds even more errors.

So my questions is:
How can I get the rules from these different installs to match? or how can I see the rules for the Sigil install?

(Daniel Naber) #2

Could you post some examples of such errors? This would probably allow us to see the difference. Chances are that Sigil is using ngram data (http://wiki.languagetool.org/finding-errors-using-big-data) and Open Office is not (because it’s not configured).

(Brent S Engle) #3

Below are three examples that Sigil would pick up but Open Office did not.

Col: 209. Context: …nie’s toothbrush one more time and then they >>goes<< off on their adventure. They drive to a smal… NON3PRS_VERB:GRAMMAR: Grammatical problem: agreement error: The pronoun ‘they’ must be used with a non-third-person form of a verb: ‘go’ Suggestion(s): go

Col: 344. Context: …se. After a few minutes a couple of mountain >>goats<< comes into the clearing. They all sat stunne… POSSESSIVE_APOSTROPHE:TYPOS: Possible typo: Apostrophe might be missing. Did you mean ‘goats’’ or ‘goat’s’? Suggestion(s): goats’, goat’s

Col: 535. Context: … us and bolted back into the brush. They all >>looks<< at each other in amazement not believing wha… NON3PRS_VERB:GRAMMAR: Grammatical problem: agreement error: The pronoun ‘They’ must be used with a non-third-person form of a verb: ‘look’ Suggestion(s): look

Thanks

(Lodewijk Arie van Brienen) #4

Col 344: I think the real problem with that one is “comes”. it should be either “come” or “came”.

(Daniel Naber) #5

That’s strange, I cannot reproduce with LibreOffice:

I don’t see what could be special about these rules. Or do you maybe have turned them off before and forgot about that?

(Brent S Engle) #6

Those three examples are from Sigil. Open office is not picking them up.

Based on the above output how do I know which rules to turn on in Open Office?

(Brent S Engle) #7

Thanks,

You may be correct but what I need is to have Sigil e-publisher that finds those errors but Open Office does not.
I want both to find the same errors.

Brent

(Daniel Naber) #8

which rules to turn on in Open Office?

Under the “Grammar” tab:
Grammar -> Agreement error: Third person verb with a non-third person pronoun
Possible Typo -> Possessive apostrophe error

(Brent S Engle) #9

Thank you

Do you know if there is a cheat sheet for other rules that I come across?

Brent

(Daniel Naber) #10

You can browse the rules at https://community.languagetool.org/rule/list?lang=en (and use it to search for IDs).