Terminology checking

Is it possible using LanguageTool to develop a terminology database with deprecated and preferred terms and check texts with it? We are working on resources for German “Leichte Sprache” (easy language), where I think such a database could be a useful thing to have.

Yes, but you must write grammar rules to do the job.LanguageTool does not have a database in which to put your terms.

LanguageTool already has some rules for Leichte Sprache. In Text Language, select ‘German (Easy German)’,

Yes, I know that LT has rules for Leichte Sprache. I am trying to find students to work on these and extend the resources.
Terminology in grammar rules is very inefficient. If we could at least include a simple table with deprecated terms and their preferred counterparts, that would help a lot.

MY idea completely. I think a table having
wordalternativelabel
would be a great extension. The word would trigger a rule, the ‘label’ would create a text around the ‘alternative’.
It need some code however…

It’s been a few years… Any new thoughts on this? We are looking at using LanguageTool internally. One of the user groups would like to have “good” and “deprecated” terms. Good is easy with company dictionary, but thoughts on “bad” terms? (ie, should flag it every time a user uses it). The match part should be pretty straightforward, if there was a storage object to put the deprecated terms into.

You could add bad terms in prohibit.txt to have them flagged as bad.
If you want to suggest alternatives, you could add them to replace.txt.
But you would have to do that after every update of LT.

Ruud means prohibit.txt I guess.

Yes, sorry. PC is very far away :sweat_smile: edited the reply.

Thanks for answers, gentlemen. I imagine we would get either one of those to work. I think we might expose the prohibit and replace lists (the content that isn’t “standard” with LT anyway) to key users and let them edit them, so we’ll have some kind of tool for gluing standard + custom together anyway.

You will have to restart LT every now and then to get de updated files loaded, but that is the easiest part of it all.