Unmatched pair as_JJ_as

Hello,

In English you can use “as” with an adjective for to describe equality. It is sometimes called an equalitive (along with positive, comparative, and superlative). I would like to write an exception for a rule to check if the second “as” is present before SENT_END. An unlimited number of tokens could appear before it. Here is the sentence with the error:

Strategic planning is nowadays an initial plan that is considered as imperative to have for every business start-up or a new project, or otherwise an established business that never had a plan in the first place.

The second “as” is missing and so this is probably a transfer error from French where the French equivalent “considered as” is a normal collocation. (Il est considéré comme un expert.)

My suggestion for this error is to say, “Eliminate the word ‘as’ after considered.”

Should I use skip="-1" and an exception or an antipattern? I can’t figure it out. Can anybody help? Here is a correct (although not elegant) sentence that the rule should ignore:

Strategic planning is nowadays an initial plan that is considered as imperative to have for every business start-up or new project as venture capital is.

Thanks.

I find antipatterns are easiest to understand. So a first approach might look like this:

<antipattern>
                <token>considered</token>
                <token>as</token>
                <token skip="-1"/>
                <token>as</token>
            </antipattern>
            <pattern>
                <token>considered</token>
                <token>as</token>
            </pattern>

It will find “considered as”, unless there’s another “as” later.

Brilliant! Antipattern is a great addition to the system. Thank you.