Updating LT 6.0 (CLI) dictionaries

Hello forum,

I’ve been using LanguageTool-6.0/languagetool-commandline.jar for some days now and really like it that way. I was wondering if and how it would be possible to update the dictionairies by (simply) replacing files, e.g. using the contents of https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool/tree/master/languagetool-language-modules/en/src/main/resources/org/languagetool/resource/en to replace /LanguageTool-6.0/org/languagetool/resource/en.

Thanks for providing a stand-alone FOSS version!
<3

The proper way to extend the English dictionary is by adding words to ./org/languagetool/resource/en/hunspell/spelling_custom.txt. If you want words not to be accepted, add them to prohibit_custom.txt in the same directory.

Thanks for clarifying, Daniel, good to know.

However, my question extends to replacing all of the above downloadable files, in their respective folders of my local LT installation. As far as I understand the guides and some forum posts (still learning), the currently available LT 6.0 CLI Java files and according language files are not up-to-date with the version hosted on Github, which potentially could break my installation.

I understood that the available ngrams are of 2020 and as is (for the time being) but, what about the contents of e.g. /LanguageTool-6.0/org/languagetool/resource/en?

Edit, for a related question: Is there an option to specify a global spelling_custom.txt, if so, where should it be located and how should it be included in the command-line?

If you’re looking for the latest LT and don’t want to wait for a release, you can always use a snapshot from Index of /snapshots/

You’re free to replace any files, of course, but it will probably mess up your installation, and we can’t provide support for then.

No, there’s no way to specify your own file. You need to use the existing one.

1 Like

Valuable answers, thanks again, Daniel! :100:

I can confirm the 6.1 snapshot to be compatible with the 2020 ngrams using languagetool-commandline.jar. As well as using a symlink to the dedicated locations, a single spelling_custom.txt (in my case, at the root dir of LT) can be used for any other supported language :smiley:. I favour the idea to maintain a single file only :smiling_face:.