User dictionaries on on-premise (selfhosted) servers

Hello, I am currently prototyping and looking for spellingchecking alternatives. For that I host languageTool (derived from one of the community docker images), as it will be used to spellcheck sensitive data that should not be accessible to third parties. One requirement of the editor for spellchecking is to have custom dictionaries per user and I found the
/words/add
/words/delete
REST interfaces here: LanguageTool HTTP API

When I am calling these interfaces on my on premise system the logs show that the underlying database used for storing the words is not configured. On the languagetool website I could not find any guide on how to setup such a database, wether a Premium Account is required to do so and if it required at all for on premise installations.

I had a look into the actual code of LT and saw some SQL files that seem to be used by the my_batik framework to initialize a database but comments within the file also suggest they might be for unit tests only.

So I have following questions:
What steps do I need to perform to get both REST endpoints for adding words to work on my on premise system?

• Is a premium license required for on premise operation of LT and if so who might I contact about details?
  • What are the advantages of using LT with premium license compared to a non premium license?

With best regards,
GTarkin

Having a database isn’t really supported. You can add your words to ./org/languagetool/resource/en/hunspell/spelling_custom.txt (for English) instead and restart LT.

So this endpoints
https://languagetoolplus.com/http-api/#!/default/post_words_add
is basically dead or is it only avaiable when using LT through LTs offical API?

Best regards,
GTarkin

It’s cloud-only, i.e. for those who have a paid API access (LanguageTool - API, Open Source and Developer information).

Would it be possible to buy this functionality for on-premise hosted instances?

Could you contact us via the support email (see LanguageTool - Imprint)?

Hello,

I’m also interested in custom dictionaries on on-premise self-hosted servers.

Is there some news on the topic?

You can add your own words to spelling_custom.txt to have them accepted by the spell checker (requires a restart of the LT server).

That’s great, but it’s not enough if you have multiple users. Having dictionaries per user would mean having a dedicated volume to store the data, so I understand that’s not easy to do.

I think I will handle dictionaries from my application side, and filter the results returned by the LanguageTool server. Thanks for the reply!