Using LT to learn inclusive language, reduce risk of causing offense

Hello, this is my first post.

I’m thinking about using LT to make it easier for people to check their writing for outdated or offensive terms. Do you know if anybody is using it that way, or perhaps to encourage use of a house styleguide?

I’m a campaigner at SumOfUs, and a few years ago a colleague and their friend put together this great styleguide: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.sumofus.org/images/SUMOFUS_PROGRESSIVE-STYLEGUIDE.pdf

Grammarly’s Premium Plan includes an “inclusive language” checker, which I just read about here: How Grammarly Supports Inclusive Language for the LGBTQIA+ Community | Grammarly Spotlight

I think that’s fine, but it should be available free-of-charge too, and be multi-lingual. That’s what brought me to LT. :slight_smile:

Before I dive into trying to turn our styleguide into LT rules (I’m not sure what the correct term is even), I wanted to check if anyone else here is already working on something like this, or would like to collaborate.

Best
Eoin (in The Hague, Netherlands)

There are some rules like that in Dutch LT.

Most of such rules will not be appreciated by the average LT user.
But there are solution for this.

The document, especially the red and green colums are great material.

1 Like

Oh interesting! Thanks for the tip Ruud. Do you have an example in the Dutch LT?

There is a suggestion when you write:
Vrouwelijke componist (or other profession)

And for vrouwelijk or mannelijk in general.

And warnings for improper words.

Most of those rules are only on in picky mode.

Is it okay if we use this document as source of inspiration? I do not promise any rules, but maybe…

That would be fantastic – YES, please do use it.

I’ve had a look around at the rules/en/grammar.xml file, and I see that the PROFANITY rulegroup already includes lots of useful and well-documented rules, not only stuff about cussing/swearing. For example, there’s one for the token “illegal”, followed by “aliens”, which cites a CNN story about a civil rights law in New York (You can now be fined up to $250,000 if you call someone an 'illegal alien' in New York City | CNN), and suggests alternatives like “undocumented immigrants” instead.

So I guess my new question is: Are there working groups for different rulegroups, like the PROFANITY one, or does everyone just offer edits for whatever they like?

You had better ask the maintainers of English directly.
They might not pick up fast. But you can easily contribute by making pairs, like:

(no alternative)
And check if things are already covered by LT by copy/pasting the phrases to be avoided in the web interface, so you can drop all phrases already covered.
And there is a ‘simple rule editor’ here: Create a new LanguageTool rule
It makes creating (initial) rules easy.

My interest is in Dutch. But this book is specifically for English, and you were talking about having rules like these for every language. Is there a Dutch version?