Words detected by 2 rules

There is a rule for Dutch that catches etc without a period. But here is also a rule detecting double words, like ‘etc etc’.

When the input contains etc etc, only the second error is reported.

Why?

We filter out overlapping rules.
I think some time ago REST API was returning overlapping errors and removing overlaps was done in UI, but recently we added the logic to remove overlaps in LT core code.
I actually have request from users to somehow indicate if there’s no than 1 error rather than pick one.

Hm. I understand overlapping errors is a challenge. But in this case, I had rather have the abbreviation rule reporte twicem than the double word. I can fix that by excluding etc from the double word list.

Looks like it was done in 3.6 and you can potentially define priority for rules:

A new method for removing overlapping errors has been implemented. By default, it is enabled for the HTTP API and LibreOffice outputs, and disabled for the command-line output. If necessary, priorities for rules and categories can bet set in Language.getPriorityForId(String id). Default value is 0, positive integers have higher priority and negative integers have lower priority.

I read that once. But the priority method is not easy to implement.