Changes in server setup

For rule developers and committers: The recent “live-checking” changes in the browser add-ons mean that our server has more work to do now. To keep up with the growing load, I’m going to change the server setup. Details are not yet decided, but the HTTP API (which powers many add-ons and languagetool.org itself) will probably run in the cloud, distributed to several servers.

For you as a rule developer, this means there’s not a specific time of a day anymore when the new release gets deployed. Instead, it might get deployed at different times. While I’m working on the new setup, you might also sometimes get results from a version of LT that’s not the very latest built, but a few days old. Once the new setup has been implemented, the situation should become more stable again.

Hi @dnaber!
Five days ago, I added a new rulegroup (AGREEMENT_QUESTION) to the English grammar.xml. This rulegroup is not yet online. Is this a consequence of the above mentioned changes? (I am just wondering because changes to the German module seem to become online without delay.)

Yes, I’m still trying to find a server set up that supports high availability, scalability and that’s not too expensive. Currently there are two APIs online with different LT versions, one is used for the add-ons, one for the website. This may change anytime, though.

Thank you for the update.

Can you update this topic when you manually update languagetool.org?

At the moment, only the add-on API is receiving updates. Since I do not intend to use it, I can’t test how my changes work on online platforms, and the last update has more than one week.

Currently, languagetool.org is running again with yesterday’s LT. But it doesn’t auto-update yet.

languagetool.org now prints the LT version to the browser console. To see the version, press F12 and run a check and the version will be shown like this:

Many thanks Daniel. This is much better than testing examples.

The server setup should be stable again for now, and servers should update regularly to the latest LT in the late evening (European time). I don’t want to specify the exact time now as it might change. But if you still get a LT version that’s a few days old, it’s a bug, please let me know.